Monday, August 8, 2005

Days of the Week Mix


I've been meaning to make this post for over a week, but I'm having a real go trying to figure out songs for Wednesday and Thursday. The choices residing there will get us over the hump, so to speak, but they're far from perfecting this mix...





The Seven Days of Rock n' Roll Creation Mix

Monday:
I Don't Like Mondays /
Ron Sexsmith
Off Ron Sexsmith's 2003 release
Rarities, this Boomtown Rats cover is a better way to start the week than any "manic" choice. That said, Monday Morning by Canada's Skydiggers does deserve honourable mention.

Tuesday:
Ruby Tuesday /
The Rolling Stones
Is that a recorder or a flute? Either way, wind instruments haven't laid down such an important role in a song since the Troggs used a recorder to rock out the solo in Wild Thing.

Wednesday:
Eight Days a Week /
The Beatles
I lu-uh-uh-uh-ve you.


Thursday:
(We're Gonna)Rock Around the Clock /Bill Haley and the Comets
Simply for being rock n' roll's public debut - you could call it the BIG BANG - this song is a fitting stand-in for the elusive ode to Thursday. Go cat go!

Friday:
Friday I'm in Love /
The Cure
This song has always seemed so flippant and naive in an Anne of Green Gables kind of way. Its happy, adventurous, and carefree. But it isn't tame, and it isn't trite. It is everything a great rock song can be when it pulls its head out of self-loathing and introspective meanddering. For the gall to be so dang catchy in melody and ideal: Friday, I too am in love.

S-A-T-U-R-D-A-Y:
Saturday Night /
Ned's Atomic Dustbin
I didn't choose the
Bay City Rollers' version of this song because I've always been encouraged by Ned's ability to put their own signature on this one. Covers are dangerous territory - most people are very opinionated about what makes a cover "worthy." To me, it comes down to a question of whether the song still rocks. If you can show me a different side of a melody, I want to see it. The push and pull of Ned's cover does just that - takes the song from a straight-ahead singable pop gem and gives it an edge you just can't help but want to balance upon. Keep on dancing to the rock and roll!

Sunday:

Easy Like Sunday Morning /
Lionel Richie & the Commodores
Who says adult contemporary can't produce musical greatness? I defy anyone reading this to tell me Lionel and band haven't created one of the most laid-back "I'm leaving you. And I'm okay." songs in rock's history. You can hear the crackle as Lionel pours triple-distilled-smooth-as-can-be-vodka over the ice of a relationship gone south. And as the band peppers the clamato with a tight high-hat and crusing piano accompaniment the listener is left with a veritable Caesar of a song: smooth, with a good bite to it. And spicy.

And that's without even mentioning the fuzz-glory of the guitar solo or the horns behind it...

No comments: