Thursday, October 20, 2005

What's on my...

On the desk:
If you've been following the comments on this recent post over at theplace.ca you'll be getting a taste for what seems to be shaping up as a larger part of my "job" with LPC/thePlace.

We've also decided to re-record a version of Band Aid's 1984 classic "Do They Know It's Christmas" to raise awareness and support for our commitment to the Hearts and Hands initiative. I've been asked to throw together some artwork for the single as well as begin to spread the word about the project.

On the sketchbook:
Recent work for my UVIC class has me interested in undertaking a "guerrila" approach to the life of Christ. In short, the idea is to subversivley & artistically place the gospel within a present-day urban or suburban context. This would be and example of the urban. This would be an example of the suburban.

On the bookshelf:

Other than that, I've been reading a few new books on "New Urbanism" and am very interested in that way of thinking is infecting/influencing how/where I communicate. And Malcolm Gladwell's The Tipping Point continues to solidify itself as a fascinating, helpful and generally enjoyable read.

On the headphones:
With more of my time strapped to a computer, I'm finding myself thoroughly enjoying the LOADS of free music available on NewMusicCanada.com. Of particular enjoyment has been the No Luck Club, Tigre Benvie and, as mentioned earlier this week, The Heavy Blinkers.

On the mind:
All, if not most, of the above, and my wife's new hallowe'en costume.

1 comment:

don said...

... I am thinking that some of Rob's comments re: moral discernment, emotional intelligence and ... have some similarities to Gladwell's next book "blink" ... especially the parts about the pre-judgement that happens in the 'blink of an eye' ...