Monday, November 14, 2005

Forgive me Neil

For being so impatient with the new Neil Diamond album (read my first review here) I must apologize to the Diamond. Forgive my doubting ears and unworthy heart Neil...

After two days listening to the album at full audio quality and in numerous environments I'm embarrassed to note that I ever questioned the greatness of this new offering. And great it is. Rubin has done a masterfull job referencing Neil's old work all over the place without ripping it off or making a parody of the Diamond - he's stripped back the years of sequins and bravado and left the listener with an honest look at Neil. And all this without making an introspective "downer" record. (If I were in that kind of mood I could say he's compressed the rock with so much pressure and time that what the listener is left with is a diamond....but that would be just too easy.)

"Pretty soon we were takin' it serious, you and me under a mysterious spell..."
~From Delirious Love (w/Brian Wilson)

1 comment:

King Bing said...

You and I both know that the only Neil worth apologizing to for any lack on your part as a fan is your Papa...