Saturday, January 7, 2006

Dynamite Christ | Banksy

I'm not sure of the actual title of this piece. It's from Banksy's first exhibition "Turf War" held in 2003.

I found this piece while looking through Steve Collins' website and was struck by the straightforwardness of it. Its all right there, the beginning and the end, the mission, the purpose, the garden, the sweating of blood. The inevitable from the moment He was made incarnate ticking away like the bomb He was; the blast from which we're still feeling the force of today.
photographed by Steve Collins
also posted on Poasis

3 comments:

bryan said...

hmmm now that's an interesting piece of artwork!

Jonathan said...

Call me overly political but "Jesus as blast" isn't the first thing that comes to mind when I look at this picture. I see it as a rather obvious allusion to the techniques of Islamic suicide bombers, in which case I would like to hear a more comprehensive explanation from the artist! Do you think there is a way to express the same concept you originally suggest without using the explicit (and in some ways misleading) subject material the artist employs? Us political types would probably appreciate it more.

James Kingsley said...

you political types...hmmm...what to do with you! I can't really find any writing on the piece unfortunatley. I don't even have a title. Is there another way to express the concept i'm suggesting? Probably. I may be looking into some similar ideas etc through my uvic course this semester. We'll have to see...