Friday, November 16, 2007

Friday Three | Nov 16th 2007

Yo La Tengo - Fourth Time Around
When I first picked up the cover-filled soundtrack to the upcoming Dylan biopic "I'm Not There" I was pretty disappointed. The thought of a double-disc brimming with amazing Dylan covers was just too high a hope for me. Long story short, the more time I'm giving it, the more beauties are rising up from it. This take from Yo La Tengo is beautiful. Somehow it ends up sounding like the film stock you see in 1970's movies - a little desaturated, but strangely rich nonetheless.

The Weakerthans - Utilities
Ever since it was first released on Radio 3's Sessions Vol 1, I've been in love with this song. The live version from that album (download from here) is easily my favorite, but they've re-recorded it on their newest release and I'm surprisingly impressed at what they've done with full production (when it shows up online, I'll link to it).

Wilco - Jesus, Etc.
Is any explanation necessary for any song from Yankee Hotel Foxtrot? It's like that scene from High Fidelity where Jack Black's character reams a customer out for not owning Blonde on Blonde.



2 comments:

Sarah said...

Everytime I hear Jesus, Etc., I feel at home, wherever I am. What do you think of the new Weakerthans album? Stock full of Canadian content, there are even curling references. Gotta love that!

James Kingsley said...

agreed, jesus etc has that great "familiar" feeling to it right off the bat.

as per the new weakerthans. i'm fully loving it. it's really well paced and has more of a "full" sound than previous releases. and the can-con is pure maple-syrup this year. hockey, curling, winnpeg transit (again)...