Thursday, February 14, 2008

Friday PlayList | Break Out the Make Out edition

I know it's a day early for my Friday Playlist, and I know that many of my readers think Valentine's day is nothing more than a Hallmark-created consumer holiday that turns love into "a gift" rather than "the gift" and blah blah blah. But you know what? I don't care. I plan on taking full advantage of an otherwise ordinary Thursday to lay one on my beautiful wife and get down with the following music in the background.


The Maynards - Break out the Make Out
This song isn't excellently produced, sonically original or otherwise a piece of musical genius, but then again: punk hardly is! What it does have going in its favour is a catchy beat, catchy chorus and lines like "passion is the latest fashion!" c/o the CBC Radio 3 Make-Out podcast

Al Green - Funny How Time Slips Away
Sure, it's a song about lost love, but Al Green could sing a death threat and it would still sound sexy. Al's gift to music is his ability to sing with the utmost control. If you listen to this song carefully enough you'll note that he's hardly singing above a whisper half the time.

Charlotte Gainsbourg And Calexico - Just Like A Woman (Bob Dylan)
I try and get a Dylan-penned song in here whenever I do these playlists, and this week's no exception. Gainsbourg and Calexico's version of this Dylan classic sounds produced for a Wes Anderson flick with it's Nick Drake guitar, upright bass and breathy vocals.


*BONUS
Al Green - I'm A Ram

Happy lovin'

No comments: