Thursday, January 1, 2009

Bob Dylan | Chimes of Freedom (Newport '64)

There's a haunting of hope running through this song that makes the hair on the back of my neck stand on end every time I hear it. And I really can't think of a better piece of poetry to welcome in the new year with...enjoy.



"Through the wild cathedral evening the rain unraveled tales
For the disrobed faceless forms of no position
Tolling for the tongues with no place to bring their thoughts
All down in taken-for-granted situations
Tolling for the deaf an' blind, tolling for the mute
Tolling for the mistreated, mateless mother, the mistitled prostitute
For the misdemeanor outlaw, chased an' cheated by pursuit
An' we gazed upon the chimes of freedom flashing."

Full Lyrics

3 comments:

Bob said...

Mr. Kingsly. There are countless keys to the doors of perception. This song changed my life in 1964 in ways I had never imagined. It was a key for me and obviously a key for you too. How fortunate we are!

http://www.bobdylan.com/#/node/6326

James Kingsley said...

Right on Bob - nothing like a little music to bring things together I say.

Happy New Year, and all the best!

Malcolm Johnson said...

music of the spheres.