I've got a feeling it's impossible for a church sign to be "not-cheesy."
So why not embrace the fromage in all it's backlit glory and start taking a more lighthearted/subversive approach to things?
Here's a list of ten messages I'd love to post on Hillside's sign. Some of them are intentionally horrid puns, while others just might have a (mustard)seed of hope buried within them.
1. This space for Lent
2. Hypocrites Anonymous Meeting: Join us Sundays at 10am.*
3. Don't Believe the Hype
4. Let Love Rule
5. "God created man in his own image. And then man returned the favor."
6. Spread the love.
7. Honk if you agree Church signs are cheesy!
8. You sunk my battleship!
9. Perfecting imperfection for 2000 years
10. Mr. Rogers knew what he was talking about. And he also wore rad slippers.
*Credit is due to Tim Bailey for the inspiration behind this one... both for being a hypocrite, and then for not being one on account of claiming he was.