Saturday, October 10, 2009

Thanksgiving and "stuff"

With it being Thanksgiving and all, I figured now's as fitting a time as ever to highlight two trains of thought which have been picking up steam for me over the last few weeks...

Both articles are worth a read in their entirety, but the gist of each is encapsulated quite concisely in the two quotes below.

"What is it inside of us that make us collect things for no other reason than to have it? Very few of us have collections of things that we use on a regular basis. Most of our collections are either on display just to look at or sit off in a corner somewhere only to be referred to when explaining that you have a collection. I wonder if collections are sort of a last ditch effort that we use to justify to ourselves that our addictions to material goods are validated. Realistically, a private collection, of any sort is pretty selfish. What on earth are they good for besides to boost our ego and make us feel better about ourselves?"
~ From Nathan Colquhoun 


***

Coveting possessions is unhealthy. Here’s how I look at it:

All of the computers on Ebay are mine. In fact, everything on Ebay is already mine. All of those things are just in long term storage that I pay nothing for. Storage is free.

When I want to take something out of storage, I just pay the for the storage costs for that particular thing up to that point, plus a nominal shipping fee, and my things are delivered to me so I can use them. When I am done with them, I return them to storage via Craigslist or Ebay, and I am given a fee as compensation for freeing up the storage facilities resources.

This is also the case with all of my stuff that Amazon and Walmart are holding for me. I have antiques, priceless art, cars, estates, and jewels beyond the dreams of avarice.

~ via Minimal Mac

No comments: