Wednesday, July 21, 2010

I Share Therefore I Am

Watch Renny Gleeson on how technology may be rendering our current reality less interesting than the story we'll tell about it later....
While I'd argue that as humans we have always found our meaning in and through story, Gleeson's three minute presentation serves it's purpose to make one seriously question whether our current use of technology is making us less human in the process.

--

Defining 'Friend'
There's an interesting study reported in the Globe and Mail stating that users of social-media are, in fact, more social than those who are online less. While I found the report an interesting read, I did have to stop and wonder how much more telling it would be if the researchers had set out to measure feelings of loneliness.

Case in point: here's another study that found students couldn't handle being offline for more than, say, a few hours.

--

James Shelley follows this up with an excellent read on why following fewer people on sites like twitter actually shows greater care for them.

--

Slate is running a series by James Sturm about his experiment in taking four months away from the internet.
I haven't personally been following the entire series as I've been online a lot less myself this summer, but I'm stoked Strum's adventure has been receiving the amount of attention it has as of late.

--

Take a break to help you remember
I figured I should post this one last...

No comments: