Thursday, August 12, 2010

Summer Metabolism

Currently Ingesting:
Arcade Fire's Funeral
I fully realize I'm about 6 years behind on this one, but the album just didn't resonate for me back then nearly as much as it has been these past few weeks. I'm guessing it was tuning in for the finalĂ© of their recent YouTube broadcast that hit the light switch for me...that and the fact that  I can't seem to get "Wake Up" out of my head.

And yes, I've got their newest (The Suburbs) just waiting for a devoted "first listen."

The Brothers Karamazov
I was probably 200 pages in before I realized that what I presumed to be half of novel's main characters were actually just nicknames for the other half I was trying to keep straight. Hopefully the rest of the story will be a bit easier to follow now that I've got that under control.

Steam Whistle Pilsner
In a can. A 'tallboy' can to be exact. It is summer, after all...

Mad Men: Season 3
Depressing and fascinating all at the same time; like watching a train wreck in slow motion – except the train is very sharply dressed and trying to pretend the tracks it's on don't exist.

Currently Digesting:
Good: The Neighborhoods Issue
Good is easily one of my favorite magazines and I devoured this issue easily in one or two sittings while camping and couldn't wait to get back into town to start loving my neighbour(hood) with renewed gusto. I've now got my eyes peeled for a suitable park bench to grace our front lawn.

SBC Surf: Summer 2010
My surfing experience is relegated to a very failed attempt on the shores of Lake Huron two summers ago, but I'm still amazed at how much I enjoy each issue of this magazine. Canada's surf community is a hardy, earthy bunch with their feet firmly planted on the ground - regardless of how much time they spend in the sea. This summer's issue was yet another winner...


Ontario Peaches
They're in season right now and they're absolutely brilliant. We peel the skin off and serve 'em up with cream and maple sugar.


---


No comments: